My word for 2018 was “intention,” and I’m happy to report – it worked! From speaking gigs to the new book to growing my coaching practice to embracing my role as a family man, it was a really great year.
I’m looking forward to making 2019 even better. To do that, I need to make and achieve new goals. If you could use a little help in that area, keep reading to learn 15 tips for creating your best year yet, and don’t miss my free 365-Day Goal Planner at the end of this post!
Take control of your life and have the best year you’ve ever experienced. With a little bit of effort each day, you can make that wonderful year a reality. It’s the small things that can make the most difference over time. The effect of small changes is cumulative.
Make the most of the next 12 months with these strategies:
- Wake up early and use the time wisely. Gain an extra hour in your day. You could learn to play an instrument, learn a language, write a book, or get in shape.
- Make smiling a habit. You’ll feel better if you smile more. The better you feel, the better your day will be. Have enough good days and you’ll have a great year.
- Have goals that excite you. It’s hard to get up and go to work every day. It’s easier to get up if you have something positive on the horizon. Have some exciting goals that you can accomplish within a year.
- Use your commute to your advantage. Listen to language programs, books on tape, or your favorite songs. You might use the time to contact potential clients.
- Save more money. The comfort of having a healthy savings account balance will do more for your year than unnecessary spending. Save more money and if you spend it, spend it where it counts.
- Learn something new. You don’t have to be in school to learn something new. There are books, videos, and plenty of experts willing to guide you.
- Network. You can’t have your best year without involvement from others. Stretch yourself and meet some new people that you normally wouldn’t. Few things will change your life more than adding new people to your life.
- Enjoy yourself more. Use your free time wisely, doing something that you love. Make the most of your idle time.
- Read something each day. Open your mind to new ideas. You can teach yourself a lot just by reading a little each day. Switch things up and avoid reading the same types of books all of the time.
- Keep a journal. Your life becomes more interesting if you keep a record of it. You’ll find yourself looking for ways to add interesting journal entries. If you lament the fact that every day seems to be the same, keeping a journal can change that. (Keep reading to see how you can download my FREE 365-Day Goal Planner!)
- Get more sleep. Everyone requires at least seven hours of sleep to be at his best. Think you need less? Try getting seven hours for a week and notice how you feel.
- Drop unfulfilling obligations. Spending your time on optional activities that suck the life out of you doesn’t make any sense. Practice assertiveness and say “no.”
- Drink more water. Try drinking at least a few glasses each day and drop the least healthy beverage you consume regularly.
- Make your bed each morning. You’ll start the day by accomplishing something. Your room will look tidier and your self-esteem will get a boost.
- Visit someplace new. You don’t have to make a trek to Everest. You could visit a nearby town known for having the best hamburgers in the state. Get out of your normal surroundings and live a little.
Your best year won’t happen by accident. Choose to make the next year your best ever. Make a plan for the year. Try to add as many positives, and delete as many negatives, as possible. Take care of yourself and create a compelling future. And enjoy the ride!